Friday 8 May 2009

Guilty Pleasures

At the moment I'm trying to write a 10,000 word portfolio for Monday and revise for exams. This is leaving me very little time for cooking or eating. Toast and copious amounts of coffee are all that are keeping me going at the moment until I made this for lunch. Everyone has that old favorite they can fall back on when they need it, this is mine.

Mark at Pencil and Spoon posted a blog about sandwiches today, one of his favorite foodgroups. This can't really be included because it is only one sided but it is probably what I would choose if he had asked about snacks rather than sandwiches. This snack, invented by my friend Jon to accompany late night poker sessions while at uni are ace. Many times they have seen me through periods of extreme poverty, drunkenness and hunger. They are not highbrow, but just very tasty.

Ladies and Gentlemen I give you the (insert drumroll)..........................

Pizza Toast!



To make these you will need (per person)

Two slices of lightly toasted bread, two tablespoons of hot salsa, 3 or 4 thin slices of medium cheddar cheese, two or three thin slices of tomato.

Toast your bread either in the toaster or under the grill and leave for a minute or two to cool. Add one tablespoon of salsa per slice of bread and spread it thinly and evenly. Place the cheese on top of each slice, covering all the salsa and the edges of the bread. Add a couple of thin slices of tomato and place under the grill until the cheese is golden and bubbling. Scoff it all as quickly as possible.

Quick, super cheap and very tasty, I scoffed mine in about 2 minutes flat.


So, the question I ask of you. What are your guilty pleasures with regards to food? Slobby, easy, disgusting I don't care, I just want to know.

5 comments:

  1. Great snack! My Grandad makes something similar with white rolls - he slices them, toasts the outsides under the grill then spreads tomato puree on the other, adds a slice of ham, then grated cheese on top. Brilliant.

    As for guilty pleasures, there are too many! Peanut butter straight from the jar with a banana is a regular when I'm hungover. I can't resist cold rice or anything leftover. Cereal at night. McFlurry's from McDonalds (I always buy these drunk!!). I eat cheese on toast with worcestershire sauce a lot. I love trashy foods like this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mine are probably:

    -Peanut butter and mashed banana on toast.

    -Leftover curry/chinese/pizza for breakfast served cold and possibly a bit congealed.

    -Fish finger sarnies.

    -Potato waffles.

    -Foie Gras, not trashy or cheap but I always feel guilty eating it.

    Outside of food, my real guilty pleasure is listening to Dire Straits and enjoying it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. one of my favourites when you get the midnight munchies is to cover a baking sheet with tin foil, pour a BIG bag of doritos onto it, cover with grated cheese and wack under the grill. Then munch with far to much salsa YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think you can actually get these t subway now, or something similar.

    My guilty pleasure is Peanut Butter straight out of the jar

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mark and Rob, lots of love for the peanut butter which is good!

    Livvy, nachos are the prefect beer snack, either before, during or after a few! I fry off a bit of chorizo and sling that in too, tasty!

    ReplyDelete