Tuesday 12 May 2009

Pub Review: The Butcher's Arms, Herne


In the search for somewhere new and interesting to have a pint, I found a pub in Herne named The Butchers Arms. It won CAMRA's Kent pub of the year last year so at least I knew the beer would be well kept. Claiming to be Britain's smallest freehold pub, the Butcher's Arms is just that. Tiny. It has no bar and seating for 6 people.

The disused butchers shop, now decorated with a myriad of old beer towels, hop bines and butcher's equipment has an instant warm and welcoming atmosphere. I went on a Saturday night and it was packed, by which I mean there were about fifteen people in there. The beauty of a pub this small, it measures fifteen foot by eleven, is that there is no such thing as a private conversation. Instantly you are involved with what is going on between the people around you. Within half an hour you feel like you have been a regular there for years, chatting to everybody about just about anything. The only no go areas when it comes to conversation are lager and a large local brewery with the initials S.N.

Speaking of lager, don't expect any. In fact dont expect anything other than fresh cask ale. No soft drinks, no spirits no alcopops. This is a beer drinker's pub which suits me down to the ground. As I mentioned previously there is no bar, ask Martin the landlord and owner and he will dissapear off down to the cellar where the beer is racked and he will bring you a jug of beer and an empty pint glass. No lines, no handpumps, a tap at the bottom of the barrel and a spile on top. There are always at least four beers on at all times, with a few remaining fairly constant, Hophead and Harveys being two for the almost constant presences. Every week Martyn updates the beers they have available on the website, this week being: Dark Star's Over the Moon and Hophead, Adanams Broadside, Thornbridge Jaipur and Harveys Best.

I had a pint of Harveys best when I went a couple of weeks ago which was lovely, fresh, well kept and as beer should be. Sadly I was driving so I didn't get to try anything else, i'll be back soon though that is for sure.

You can visit their website here for updates on their beers or find out how to get there. There is also a short video here about the pub winning the Kent pub of the year.

3 comments:

  1. Major fail! Don't go to a pub like that and drive man!! If I went to any pub and they had those beers on I'd be delighted - Jaipur is probably the best beer in the UK right now, Broadside and Harvey's are classics and the two DarkStars are brilliant - I had a cracking pint of the over the moon last week, it's so dark and hoppy.

    A trip to Herne might be on the cards!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Come down! You will have a great time! I'm going to try an organise a couple of mates to come for a tasting session one evening, you are more than welcome to join.

    The thing that I spectacularly failed to mention is that you can take away anything from 2 to 36 pints. I'm thinking how nice it would be to have Jaipur anytime.

    ReplyDelete
  3. 36 pints of Jaipur?! That sounds like a party to me! Let me know if you organise a tasting session, sounds cool mate. And if you're interested I'll probably be at the Bull in Farningham Road on Thursday, they got a Pub of the Year celebration and they are putting some good beers out.

    ReplyDelete