Wednesday 25 February 2009

Beer Tasting

I am a keen real ale drinker not to worry though, although I have a beard I don't have beige cords, or an wool Arran jumper. I think it important that more young people start drinking real ale rather than the chemically, cold, mass produced fizzy shite on offer most places. Don't get me wrong, there is nothing more satifying than cracking open an ice cold lager beaded with condensation on a hot summer day, I just prefer ale.

Reading Mark Dredge's Pencil&Spoon beer blog has kicked my arse into action to do some beer tasting. I haven't done a tasting for you yet so I went out to the supermarket and got a nice selection of beers, along with a couple I had in my cupboard already. I tried to buy mainstream beers easily available to all with a slight bias to those brewed in the South East. Each beer is reated out of 5 stars

Hopefully it will give you an introduction to some beers you might like to try.


Sharps Doom Bar

Brewed in Cornwall, Doom bar pours with an amber colour and has an creamy coloured head that does not last long. In the glass it has a strong caramel/toffee smell with a fresh hoppy/grassy smell. It is creamy in the mouth with more toffee which is cut through by a punch of bitter hop which lingers in the mouth. At 4% it makes for a beer you could happily drink all night. ****


Hog's Back T.E.A. (Traditional English Ale)

Brewed on the South Downs in Surrey this beer has quite a dark colour for a T.E.A., it has a large creamy head that lasts. In the glass it is a little underwhelming, with hints of the hops and a slight burnt toasty smell. It is similar in the mouth, not much malt is present but there are plenty of hops present. A decent enough beer, just a little dull. ***


Shepherd Neame Spitfire

Brewed in Faversham in Kent, this beer pours a barely-sugar colour with an off-white head. In the glass it has strong vanilla and toffee malt notes and spice. it is quite big feeling in the mouth, but is slightly over carbonated in the bottle. It has fruit and a slight toasty note. A good beer better enjoyed on draught. ****

Goachers Shipwrecked

Brewed in Maidstone and only available on draught at the Shipwright's Arms at Hollow Shore (Speak nicely to Derek the landlord and he will let you take a 4 pint container home). The beer pours with a dark tan colour and has a thin white head. In the glass it is hoppy with a biscuity note. In the mouth it feels thin but smooth and refreshing, very little malt is present but there are plenty of dry hops making it my session beer of choice. *****

Innis and Gunn Oak Aged beer

Brewed in Edinborough and aged in oak barrels, this beer is a dark golden colour with a creamy white head. In the glass it has masses of different aromas: vanilla, toffee, and grassy hops. In the mouth this is even more obvious, a lovely buttery mouthfeel with huge punches of vanilla, toffee with plenty of sweetness cut through by the hops. A lovely innovative beer but at 6.6% you wouldn't want to drink much of it! ****

Otter Brewey Bright

Brewed in Devon, Otter Bright is a pale beer, with a golden colour and a very thin white head. In the glass there are floral notes along with with a hint of pear drops. In the mouth it is medium-bodied, very clean and smooth. It has crisp apple and sweet pear tastes and a gentle hoppiness with a slight citrussy finish. A nice light summery beer. ****

Have a go at a tasting yourself, why not get a few mates round with half a dozen beers and see what you all think. When it comes to deciding on what flavours are present I find this diagram really helpful:



Have some fun!

6 comments:

  1. You can't beat a good beer tasting! I like that flavour wheel, it's useful sometimes to put your finger on certain flavours.

    Goachers are a cool little brewery, I always order their stuff when I see it (I live fairly close to the brewery). The Shipwrights Arms is a great pub (if you can find it!!), I love that they have beers off gravity.

    I might say something controversial here, being a Man of Kent, but I don't generally like Shepherd Naeme beers. I find them cardboardy, especially the bottled ones. There are exceptions, like a fresh cask pint of Bishops Finger.

    Innis & Gunn Original is the beer that I know that has converted more lagerboys or non-beer drinkers over to ale. It was part of my conversion to proper beer! I love it for it's burnt buttered toast aroma. Mmmm... Some of the other limited edition bottles are cool too.

    And talking of barrel aged beers, did you know that Gadd's have got an Islay cask aged porter for sale at the brewery shop at the mo? Sounds fantastic. Eddie Gadd has written about it on his blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your little bio mentions "I have a passion for good food and wine", yet you also claim to be a "keen real ale drinker." So what the hell is really going on?? You suddenly drank a few pints of quality beer, now you're an expert?? I need a list of how many of you young, beer blogger geeks really exist? This is outrageous, as it appears you're multiplying like rabbits. Knock it off, you're giving serious beer journalists a bad name with this dross.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ok Mr Wurst, i'm not sure if you are trying to sarcastic or not so i'll just try to address your concerns with my blog.

    In my bio, it says I' have a passion for good food and wine'. This is true but I also happen to be passionate about beer as well. Perhaps I should change the phrasing to 'I have a passion for good food and drink'. Liking wine and ale aren't mutually exclusive however.

    I don't consider myself an expert on beer but in the past I have worked at several pubs, including the Kent CAMRA award winning Shipwright's Arms. I have also worked for Shepherd Neame in quality control and in my current job sample many foods and drinks sent by suppliers.

    I don't at any point claim to be a serious journalist, and my emphasis is that tasting beers and food is not an exclusive thing, it is fun to get involved in. This blog is a hobby that I keep as I enjoy it, hoping that someone somewhere who reads it will try something new.

    I would be interested to hear any suggestions you have.

    Pete

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, I guess you're alright then. I was just having a look at what this was all about. My little space(notice I didn't call it a beer blog) is anything but serious. There needs to be a guy like me to go through the onslaught of beer blogs that contaminate us all with beer intellectualism. There are a few noble folks around, but many are the dregs at the bottom of the barrel. Just look at me as the Ombudsman for beer blogs. I sift through the scum to hopefully find fresh ale on the other side. It's a difficult job, with often little if any reward. My advice to you would be drink as much of your country's ale as humanely possible. I've been there, some 18 times. Do what you do, just don't be another Roger Protz.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cheers, I haven't really spent much time looking at other people's blogs so haven't yet got much of an opinion about it. Pete Brown's beer blog seems pretty good, as does the Pencil&Spoon blog. I would however, probably err to your sensibilities though, the internet is full of misinformation and shite!

    Keep coming back, I was thinking of posting a couple of curry/chili recipes next month which, having looked at your bio I would like your opinion on.

    Oh and about trying to drink as much ale as possible...I think the level I consume is humane, my liver however tells a different story!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm a huge chili head. Last summer I grew Dorset Naga Morich, habs, serranos, Jalapenos, Anaheims. I bought the Naga seeds from ebay, they came from the motherland. This summer I expect a giant crop of everything. Really good stuff for making your own curries.

    ReplyDelete